http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping All Our Children Meow and Woof: The Big C (or M in this Case)

All Our Children Meow and Woof

I created this blog to sort through my emotions as Finnegan, a great Irish Wolfhound, fought bone cancer for nearly 26 months. Fortunately, his battle subsided for many months and during the course of the 26 months, I shared stories about his feline siblings. On August 8, 2008, Finny passed on in my husband's and my arms. He fought the good fight and he will always have a special place in my heart. *If you have a question, please write me at finnegandog at gmail dot com.*

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

The Big C (or M in this Case)

As we expected, Finny's cancer returned in his lungs. He has a ten by eight centimeter solid mass in his dorsal lung. Well, maybe not dorsal, it's up high just below his spine. The good thing is that it's not pressing on his heart or esophagus. He came home with us last night with two different types of medication, prednisone, and an injectable medication that apparently makes him really happy and healthy. Our plan is to keep him comfortable. The veterinarian is calling an oncologist to determine if there is an type of palliative care we can do to keep him comfortable. She is optimistic that we can keep him comfortable for perhaps six months, maybe more. I would love to get six more months but only if he feels good, is happy, and his quality of life is great. Putting him through treatments or agressive therapy is not in the cards. The only option at this point is to do what is best for Finny.

Oddly, I'm not hysterical or depressed. Obviously, it is sad; however, he will be eight years old next week and lasted two years from his diagnosis. That is more than we could have asked. We love him very much and for the next months, he will be fed gourmet homemade treats, and given more love than he can handle

14 Comments:

Blogger Emma said...

Oh shit. I'm so sorry. I'll be bringing some treats around for Mr. Finny. What's his favorite?

11:30 AM  
Blogger Biggie-Z said...

I felt the same way when we knew Mr. Boo had limited time left. Treat every day as a gift - you will know when it's time. It is never easy, but in many ways we were thankful we had a chance to say goodbye.

Hugs your way.

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finny, I'm sorry that it came back. Mine did too, but I'm still rockin' and rollin', almost three months after they found it, and I've got two big tumors!

Glad the meds are working.

You're going to looove being spoiled rotten. My pawrents let me do anything I want now! Haha! There goes all that Dog Whisperer training, out the window!

Feel good buddy, we are thinking of you.

-Jerry

3:08 PM  
Blogger Asta said...

Oh Finny,
I'm so vewy sowwy..I was hoping that you wewe doing so well that you had no time to wite, an that's why I didn't heaw fwom you..you know I love you..always have!! always will!!!
I will pway that you have pain fwee wondewful time with youw family, and that you feel nothing but love at all times
smoochie kisses
Asta and Mommi

3:45 PM  
Blogger Stanley said...

Finny boy!

Aw, man. That is one big bummer. I wish I could give you some healing goob smooches in person, and my girl wishes she could moosh on you and give you an atomic booty scratch.

Enjoy time with your mama. Eat all you want and drink more than is prudent. Swear at will and tell dirty jokes. Do whatever it is you do that makes you happy, man.

Know that this goober loves you, and hopes for some extra good times ahead for you, buddy.

Goober love,
Stanley

6:43 AM  
Blogger wally said...

Very sorry to hear about Finnegan's diagnosis. I know that he will get all the love a dog could dream of as long as you can give it. Many smooches to you and your peoples.

wally.

3:40 PM  
Blogger BipolarLawyerCook said...

So sorry to hear it, but he's a lucky pooch to have someone to care so much for him. xoxo

4:28 PM  
Blogger Nazila Merati said...

Angeerah,

I am so sad to hear this. I am also thinking that smooches and good vibes are very important to keep all of you happy and sane.

xo to you all,

nazila and ernest and his th mom

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your blog!

12:20 AM  
Blogger WinstonBerry said...

Hi Finny!
I'm so sorry to read this news. But rest assured, I will be sending all kinds of positive thoughts and feelings your way!

BIIIIIIIIIG Smooches,
Winnie :-)

9:23 PM  
Blogger Molly the Airedale said...

Happy birthday, Finni!
We love you!

Maggie and Mitch

5:11 AM  
Blogger Opy - the Original GruffPuppy said...

Sorry to hear such sad news :( Hope you enjoy your birthday - and we are thinking of you.

Love
Opy

6:20 AM  
Blogger Lacy said...

w00f's finnegan, i am sorrwy to b only meeting u now..and so verwy sorry u iz sooo ill..todays ur barkday, and me hopes u can celebrate it with some enjoyment...soo me will say happy barkday and get lots of kisses and hugs from ur family, dear one...

b safe and feel better,
~rocky~

11:40 AM  
Blogger Kerrio said...

In tears here.

K.

7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home