http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping All Our Children Meow and Woof: Beefy and Brawny versus Disheveled and Scrawny*

All Our Children Meow and Woof

I created this blog to sort through my emotions as Finnegan, a great Irish Wolfhound, fought bone cancer for nearly 26 months. Fortunately, his battle subsided for many months and during the course of the 26 months, I shared stories about his feline siblings. On August 8, 2008, Finny passed on in my husband's and my arms. He fought the good fight and he will always have a special place in my heart. *If you have a question, please write me at finnegandog at gmail dot com.*

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Beefy and Brawny versus Disheveled and Scrawny*

I wouldn't put it past Mama to go to the local animal shelter and pick out the mangiest, goofiest, neediest animal to adopt. When she worked as a veterinary assistant at a cat clinic, she fell in love with this mangy cat named Mouse who was often mistaken for a homeless cat and brought into the shelter. He had grey messy fur and a raspy meow. While working at a veterinary clinic in Salt Lake City, she fell for and adopted Mr. Stinny, a cat who had been hit by a car. Incidentally, he is blind and quite needy, I might add. Attention slut might be an appropriate descriptor for the little man. Of course, there was Lily at the humane society who had just had her third litter of kittens and she weighed only four pounds. Mama rescued her. Shrimpycat was another scrawny little thing abandoned in the woods outside of Syracuse. Yes, she became part of the family too. Then Donald, well, he has so many issues I would have to write a whole post dedicated to the weirdness that is Donald.

And that leaves me. Yes, Mama adopted me as a puppy from a breeder. Yes, I am a purebred Irish Wolfhound. Yes, Mama used her student loan money to buy a dog instead of food. But Mama picked an Irish Wolfhound out of all the other breeds because we tend to look a little disheveled. No poodle cut for us! And, we tend to be on the leaner side, although I did look pretty strong and beefy - mmmm beef - in my younger years. And she prefers similar breeds like Scottish Deerhounds, Wired Hair Fox Terriers, and the like. Of course, I did end up having issues like being born with little to no sight. Go figure.

What does this mean? Is she a disheveled human? Well, kind of. She is not too fussy about her hair or make up. She shows up to work in a snazzy suit with cat hair on it and really doesn't care. She has a history of dating thinner disheveled men (and even married one!).

So, my questions: is there a correlation between a preference for certain types of breeds (and mixes) and attraction to certain characteristics of a human mate?

*This post is inspired by the Today Show had a segment about women choosing thin men over brawny men.

7 Comments:

Blogger Twice Five Miles said...

Well, Wils certainly resembles me more than my significant other. Messy curls and all.

I guess that's a different kind of nepotism, though, isn't it - choosing a dog who looks like me?

3:28 PM  
Blogger Nessa Happens said...

Egads! I am a big, beefy dog, and my mama definitely married a big beefy man.

But, he is nowhere near as hairy as me.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Sophie Brador said...

Huh. Well, this is an interesting question. I think we should get all coupled dog bloggers to post a photo of their pup and their pal so that we can make a scientific study of it.

5:56 PM  
Blogger WinstonBerry said...

I agree with Sophie! And if they arenot coupled, maybe a photo of the "type" that person is attracted to??

(Personally, I don't see how any of them could be as good-looking as any of US, though, regardless of the similarities!! :-) :-) hee hee hee! )

Smoooches!!
-_Winnie :-)

10:21 PM  
Blogger Asta said...

Finny,
I find you wildly attwactive, what do you mean dissheveled????Those loong legs, that bushy eyebwow,that noble nose that gweyish haiw...OMD...I think you and my Daddy awe twins. I just descwibed bof of you, heheheh
I guess my Mommi and I fit your theowy.
I still love Mr. weindeer, even though hes kindof empty
smoochie kisses
ASta

3:39 PM  
Blogger FleasGang said...

My wife always says that Simon (cocker mix) and I look alike. Must be the brown eyes and long noses :-)

The FleasGang

6:18 PM  
Blogger Asta said...

Finny,
I tagged you, come to my blog and find out what you have to do
smoochie kisses
Asta

12:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home