http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping All Our Children Meow and Woof: Throwing in the Weight Loss Towel

All Our Children Meow and Woof

I created this blog to sort through my emotions as Finnegan, a great Irish Wolfhound, fought bone cancer for nearly 26 months. Fortunately, his battle subsided for many months and during the course of the 26 months, I shared stories about his feline siblings. On August 8, 2008, Finny passed on in my husband's and my arms. He fought the good fight and he will always have a special place in my heart. *If you have a question, please write me at finnegandog at gmail dot com.*

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Throwing in the Weight Loss Towel

Typically, I do not like to discuss my fight with my weight. It's boring, overdone, and not really anybody's problem but mine. I am the one who selects what I will eat. I am the one who decides whether I will run, go to the gym, or sit on my ass and watch mindless television. It is my problem. Lately, I have become more frustrated with my weight "problem". For the last two weeks, Prof. H. and I have been making healthy meals, eating healthy snacks, and trying to run when it is not so cold that breathing in the cold air results in lungsicles. And yes, I realize two weeks is not enough time to see results but COME ON! Prof. H. has lost five pounds and counting since we started! Me? Barely a change on the crusty old scale.

I just have to keep plugging away. Maybe it will take me a month to lose 5 pounds. However, if Prof. H. keeps losing weight the way his is, I might have to crush him with my, em, girth.

I promise, no more weight talk. Unless it has to do with Finnegan's weight and me systematically starving him. By the way, does anyone else have a dog that loves broccoli, zucchini, and cauliflower? Finnegan waits in the kitchen for me to cut vegetables so he can get the scraps. So weird.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

PugPei gets baby carrots and apples in with her dog food every day. She loves them. She has eaten broccoli, zucchini, and cauliflower, too. She also likes lemons and grapefruit. And a pretzel? She will kill you for a pretzel. Go figure.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Ali B. said...

I've got the dog that won't eat much of anything, including often dog treats, or even, say... his own food. Sometimes we cook him up a big batch of ground meat, which he'll gladly do. And rice with chicken broth, that, too. But veggies? No go.

As for you, my dear. My hubby and I were once in the Peace Corps, where we lived so far removed from anything like ice cream and pizza and mindless television. We should have all come home looking like supermodels, right? Instead, an interesting trend happened among the 100+ American volunteers there: (1) the men got skinny. Really, really skinny. (2) the women gained weight. Seriously. Not all, but many, many - and they were eating the same things, day in, and day out, as the men - women came home chunkier than when they left.

Which tells you (or at least it tells me) that you just can't compare yourself to a guy. They're not built to pack on the pounds so that they can someday, if needed, grow and keep alive another human being. They're not. It's natures way. Infuriating sometimes, but there you are.

As for all those super skinny women out there? The ones who prefer standing on a stairmaster to sitting on a couch and stroking the loving head of a furry friend? You wouldn't want to be them, anyway (psst...they're boring. And they don't have Finnegan).

10:42 AM  
Blogger Fu Fu said...

Hey Finnegan, I think you look perfect that way you are now. :) And you like to eat vegetables? Cool!

~ fufu

12:47 AM  
Blogger PerfectTosca said...

Tosca gets fresh veggies all the time. Her favorites are whole carrots and green beans. She likes them raw and often. She also likes celery stalks, peas, zucchini and broccoli. I don't know if she likes cauliflower because I don't like it and never eat it.Like Finnegan, she's a veggie freak.

Don't give up on your exercise program. Forget watching Professor H. People's metabolisms stabilize at different rates. Here's my idea. Stay off the scale and just work on getting yourself in shape as you are. If you do it for the sake of weight only you could easily become discouraged. Just do it and don't weigh yourself again for another month. In the meantime, you will find yourself feeling better and just wanting to do more--and just think of the excitement on that day 30 days from now when you hope onto the scale and get a really good weight lottery surprise! Come on, try it my way. What the heck, right? Oh, and there will STILL be plenty of time to snuggle on the couch with The Finnegan, honest.

Tosca drags me all over creation so I can stay in shape by default. She's a relentless coach and cheaper than a gym. Oy.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

Hera loves all things vegetable and fruit. I'm not kidding the girl will beg for carrots and... oh her favortie...strawberries. She will make herself sick at the local strawberry festivals.

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home