http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping All Our Children Meow and Woof: 100th Post and Don't Mess with my Finnegan!

All Our Children Meow and Woof

I created this blog to sort through my emotions as Finnegan, a great Irish Wolfhound, fought bone cancer for nearly 26 months. Fortunately, his battle subsided for many months and during the course of the 26 months, I shared stories about his feline siblings. On August 8, 2008, Finny passed on in my husband's and my arms. He fought the good fight and he will always have a special place in my heart. *If you have a question, please write me at finnegandog at gmail dot com.*

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

100th Post and Don't Mess with my Finnegan!

Emma's post today was quite apropos. This blog is fairly harmless and not particularly confrontational. Although I am sarcastic and at times, judgmental, I try not to hurt people's feelings. Today has not been a great day. I was up half the night coughing and now I feel crappy. At work I raced around getting things done that should have been done a week ago. When I looked at Finnegan's latest youtube.com video, I noted a new comment. Usually, the comments are kind and talk about the viewer's love of Irish Wolfhounds or what a neat dog he is, etc. This time, I found a comment that said to the effect: you don't feed your dog enough bitch.

Wow. I looked at the video again and thought, well, yes, he is on the slim side being HE HAS CANCER AND ALL. Then I thought, oh my god, am I not feeding him enough? I know I give him six to eight cups of food a day (if he has any more, he becomes fatty Irish Wolfhound) and three small treats but maybe this person is correct? *Insecure Insecure Insecure*

Then I realized the following:

  1. You cannot see his ribs in person and he has always had a slender figure. Unlike me. Go figure.
  2. I feed him the recommended amounts and adjust it if I think he is getting too much or too little.
  3. He just finished chemotherapy three months ago; he is not going to be as bulky as he was before treatment.
  4. This anonymous poster called me a bitch so that tells me he is immature, mindless, and rude.
  5. There is this nice little feature called the delete function where I can remove the comment.
  6. Possibly it could have been sarcasm but since I don't know this person, it is not appropriate considering the blood, sweat and tears I have given Finnegan as he has fought and continues to fight for his life.

So, I realized I should not be insecure when someone I don't know criticizes me, Finnegan is fine and is loved by his family and his blog family, and the delete button is something special.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finnegan never appeared undernourished to me (although I am used to "girthier" pooches). He looks about the same size as the Irish Wolfhound that hangs out at Nickel Plate Mills.

And yeah, the delete button is a beautiful thing when it comes to obnoxious tossers.

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go, McB! Don't even pause for thought on those fit for the Darwin awards.

Texas's Humans.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Ali B. said...

I know, I shouldn't pause for thought on him either, but whoever that guy is, he got my blood boiling. That's just nasty and unnecessary. It's a rotten thing to say, and he made the world an uglier place. Delete, delete, delete.

Jerk.

(really, I'm mad. Grrr).

5:28 PM  
Blogger wally said...

Hi Finnegan's mom,

It's a shame that people use the anonymity of the internets to be jackasses to complete strangers (pardon my French!). My sister is really skinny even though she eats like a HORSE. I had to lose a lot of weight because of problems with my back but I still look chubby. Different strokes for different blokes. I think Finnegan looks perfect and it's probably best for him in the long run to stay on the lighter side of life. I knew a three-legged mastiff at my old dog park who was chunky and it really put a lot of strain on his intact front leg until he was barely mobile.

But, no matter what I say or idiots who call you "bitch" say no one knows your dog like you do and YOU know what's best for him. I've read your blog and how much you love Finnegan (and who wouldn't!) and have cared for him so anyone who thinks you don't love your dog and want what's best for him can bite my hairy butt.

wally.

ps. by the way. i know my mawma would be all touchy if someone said something about how she treats us. it'a hard to ignore the jerks, darn it.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Avery said...

I am so sorry that you had to experience that. I can understand your reaction. My mom would have felt the same way. Your anger and hurt are completely justified!

I watched the video and thought Finnegan looked very handsome and healthy, and it is clear that you love him immensely.

Give your boy a big ol' hug. There's nothing like some doggie love to help you feel better.

Wags,
Avery

12:56 AM  
Blogger PerfectTosca said...

Hey don't worry about those people who make nasty posts. They usually live in basement apartments and have miserable lives. Finnegan looks just fine to me. Besides, I never pay any attention to people who don't have the cajones to use their names. For all we know the person is writing from Rahway prison. Fergettabowtit!

Tosca's Tired Mom

2:23 AM  
Blogger Deanna said...

OMG! People are crazy!

You did a great job processing it. I hope you let it go.

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home