http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping All Our Children Meow and Woof: Deep Deep Snow

All Our Children Meow and Woof

I created this blog to sort through my emotions as Finnegan, a great Irish Wolfhound, fought bone cancer for nearly 26 months. Fortunately, his battle subsided for many months and during the course of the 26 months, I shared stories about his feline siblings. On August 8, 2008, Finny passed on in my husband's and my arms. He fought the good fight and he will always have a special place in my heart. *If you have a question, please write me at finnegandog at gmail dot com.*

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Deep Deep Snow

You doggies (and hamsterrriers!) would not BELIEVE how much snow we have here! It keeps snowing and snowing and snowing. Last night, Mummy AND Daddy got their cars stuck and had to be pushed through the deep mucky snow. That does not sound like fun! It's good that I am a big tall Irish Wolfhound. Would you believe the snow comes up almost to my chest? And I am about 38 inches (about a meter) tall at the shoulder! That makes for some tough walking for a three legged boy. Luckily, Mummy and Daddy shovel a path for me to do my, ahem, business outside.

Now that the snow storms are finished for a while, it is COLD. Not just cold but really REALLY cold. Ouch! It is 9 degrees Fahrenheit with a minus 10 degree windchill. That is minus 12 Celsius without the wind and minus 24 with the wind.

Enough about the weather. Things are going well for me. I am doing really well going down the stairs but I still need a little assistance going up the stairs. And when I say assistance, I mean bribes. Nice tasty peanut butter treats. Mmmmm, the drool is slowly dripping out of the corner of my mouth. Mmmmm. Treats. Okay, where was I? Oh yeah, stairs. I take after Mummy and I am not exactly the most graceful doggy in the world so stairs have never been my forte. Now that I have three legs, I do not have the confidence to do the stairs like I did before.

This is how it goes:

  1. Hop one foot up on the bottom stair.
  2. Look up the stairs longingly at Mummy.
  3. Get off the bottom stair and try a running start.
  4. Hop one foot up on the bottom of the stairs.
  5. Attempt to get up the second stair.
  6. Decide #3 was not fast enough.
  7. Get back down and do running start even faster.
  8. Get up two stairs.
  9. Wag tail because of this great accomplishment.
  10. Realize lost momentum and whimper.
  11. Mummy cheers and encourages me, and a waves a treat at me as a bribe.
  12. Get down the two steps and do a really super fast you can barely see me moving I am so fast running start.
  13. Make it up the stairs.
  14. Receive treats and applause for my valiant effort.
  15. Relax with Mummy and Daddy.

So there you have it. Like I said, I have never been good a stairs and neither is Mummy, she falls UP the stairs (Editor's Note: My receptionist knows when I am going up the stairs because she hears me tripping. And I wonder why my nickname is "Grace"). I do make the effort and I can go up the stairs. It is just not as easy as it used to be. Plus, I have been spoiled and Mummy usually takes me around the house instead of using the stairs. In houndsight (get it? houndsight? hindsight? sight hound?) she should have made me do the stairs earlier on. Oh well.

By the way, what on earth is going on with the television show Lost?



3 Comments:

Blogger Fu Fu said...

What, you're so tall Finnegan and the snow comes to your chest. Then I think I'll be buried in the snow if I go visit you. :(

~ fufu

10:54 PM  
Blogger PerfectTosca said...

Oh man, snow! We are here in upstate NY where we had about forty seven thousand feet of snow dumped on us and were snowed in for three days. It looks like a spooky movie out there let me tell you! As for me, mom had a maize of paths made for me on the land because all she could see was my nose, ears and tail and she didn't want me to get lost. So I am on tie out until ...well from the looks of things..until Spring!

1:32 AM  
Blogger Finnegan said...

Fufu - I promise to give you a ride on my back so you don't get lost in the snow!

Perfect Tosca - I know! The snow is ridiculous! I thought we had it bad but upstate NY and VT are extra snowy!

Woofs,
Finny

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home