http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping All Our Children Meow and Woof: What Breed of Dog Should Obama Get?

All Our Children Meow and Woof

I created this blog to sort through my emotions as Finnegan, a great Irish Wolfhound, fought bone cancer for nearly 26 months. Fortunately, his battle subsided for many months and during the course of the 26 months, I shared stories about his feline siblings. On August 8, 2008, Finny passed on in my husband's and my arms. He fought the good fight and he will always have a special place in my heart. *If you have a question, please write me at finnegandog at gmail dot com.*

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

What Breed of Dog Should Obama Get?

First, I am thrilled to be part of history in the making. I worked the polls as an attorney and voted for Barack Obama, the next president of the United States. Last night was emotional and I feel like the country is on a new path. Now the big question: What type of dog should the Obama family get? One of my favorite things to do is to help friends and families pick out a breed of dog. I enjoy reading about the breeds, figuring out the traits that would fit the person, family, and household and coming up with a list of dogs suitable for person. As you probably know, I am a fan of sighthounds, specifically Irish Wolfhounds. However, I do not think the next First Family should adopt one for numerous reasons including that I don't want the breed to become too popular, become overbred, and lead to numerous giant breeds filling up the shelters. But I have to say the same for any other breed. I imagine when the President, particularly a popular president, adopts a dog, many follow suit and want the exact same dog. And what happens? Dogs are adopted and then the well-intentioned adopters realize a lab does not work in a city apartment and the lab must go.

My solution is for the Obama Family to adopt a mixed-breed puppy from a shelter. This is beneficial for numerous reasons. First, it tells the public that adopting from a shelter is the right thing to do. The adoption can tie in with the message that there are too many unwanted animals and the best thing to help the situation is to adopt from a shelter. And think about the photo opportunities: President Obama (how I love saying that), the First Lady, and their two adorable daughters in a shelter looking at puppies and young dogs. It would send an amazing message. Second, adopting a mixed breed dog from a shelter would possibly prevent one particular breed from becoming overly popular.

So what type of mix should they bring to the White House? I think they should look for a medium to large sized dog. They should work with the shelter workers and volunteers to find a active but submissive dog. Honestly, I do not think the mix matters too much although if they found an Irish Wolfhound mix, that would be pretty awesome. Hey, I'm biased.

Hopefully, the family will find a suitable match and will take my advice because what better person is there to send the message about homeless animals than a popular newly elected President.

6 Comments:

Blogger Emma said...

Al and I had this exact conversation on our way home from a victory party last night. We both agreed that the Obama family should adopt a shelter dog (and I think they may have already indicated that that's the way they're going to go). Al remembers that when President Clinton got Buddy the chocolate lab, droves of people went out and got chocolate labs and then a few months later, shelters were full of chocolate labs.

I'm partial to the smooshed faced pooches, so I think they should adopt a pug mix. ;)

Whatever they choose, I just hope I heard correctly and that it does end up being a rescue from a shelter.

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since it is obvious that whatever breed the presidential daugthers get will take off like hotcakes. Mr. & Mrs. Obama can kill two birds with one stone, get the girls the cute cuddly puppy they were promised AND teach the girls and set an example for the rest of the country by choosing one of the many dogs available for adoption. What a great thing that would be!!

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why, a three legged mixed breed dog of course!

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Bichon Frise does not shed, is hypoallogenic. They have boundless energy to play with 2 girls and are a cute girlydog. Weighing in at 10-12 lbs. they make great lap dogs.
Forget the rescue dogs. President Elect Obama has got bigger fish to fry than go through dog shelters.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Veronica said...

Anonymous #2 - Thanks for commenting but I honestly don't think going to a shelter takes much time and a lot of it can be done behind the scenes. With HSUS endorsement, they certainly can give some guidance to the Obama Family.

10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny to read these with hindsight, and see how it all worked out. What's weird is how even the personal decision to get a family pet becomes so politicized...
- - - - - - -
Jack@PDB
dog beds and more

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home