http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping All Our Children Meow and Woof: Rudy! Rudy! Rudy!

All Our Children Meow and Woof

I created this blog to sort through my emotions as Finnegan, a great Irish Wolfhound, fought bone cancer for nearly 26 months. Fortunately, his battle subsided for many months and during the course of the 26 months, I shared stories about his feline siblings. On August 8, 2008, Finny passed on in my husband's and my arms. He fought the good fight and he will always have a special place in my heart. *If you have a question, please write me at finnegandog at gmail dot com.*

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Rudy! Rudy! Rudy!

Can I be complete honest with you? This weekend I questioned whether adopting Rudy was the right thing. And now you're asking: who the hell is Rudy? The Prof decided he liked Rudy better than Rooney, it's actually easier to say, and so alas, it's Rudy. He responds to it so all is right in the world.

I am rarely one to sugarcoat matters. Rudy acted like a complete and utter nutcase when we brought him home. Yes, I understand he had been in the shelter for nearly one and a half months. Yes, he is young, under two years old, and he has a ton of energy. But I did not expect quite that much energy. Oh, all that energy. I set up his crate downstairs and had two leashes ready, one for inside and one for outside. After walking him and throwing a toy nearly 5,000 times, I decided he expended enough energy to be introduced to the house. House, this is Rudy, Rudy, this is House. Unfortunately, it is not this House.

All he wanted to do was run around and around and around the house checking everything out. And then the cats. Oh the cats and oh hell how did I make my first big mistake. I introduced the cats to Rudy directly and not through a closed door. Big mistake. His response? OHMYGODOHYMYGODHIHIHILETMESNIFFYOUPERHAPSCHASEYES?YES?

In human translation: holy hell I've never been so excited to meet you but if you run, that means I will chase you. GAH! So Rudy went back downstairs, the cats gave me dirty looks, and I nearly cried.

The next day, he couldn't believe he still lived with us. His outpouring of love made my heart ache. He truly wanted to be a good boy but the excitement overwhelmed him. We spent a good part of the day throwing Frisbees, which he can catch if we don't suck at throwing them, throwing balls, and going for a walk. He calmed a bit but still, it was all so very very new and he literally did not know what to do.

Sunday included more playing, throwing, attention, and love. We named his numerous squeaky toys, praised him for good behavior, and worked on "No jumping" and "Sit" and "Stay" before he entered the house. Still, the cats were on strike and wanted nothing to do with this atrocious creature. Ew! A dog! When I talked to my sister on the phone, I wondered how long we could take his behavior with the cats.

But then I began to do some reading and calmed down. We decided that he will need to be downstairs dog until he becomes used to the house and the cats become accustomed to him, he must stay in his crate while unsupervised, and most importantly, we need to be consistent with his training. After all, he is a good, sweet, smart, and loving dog. All he needs is our time and patience and I think he will be sure to give it back.

5 Comments:

Blogger Asta said...

Rudy
I'm so glad you have youw fuwwevew home and I just know that you will adjust to youw new home..it's fwustrwating fow hoomans to get used to us. Just give them lots of love..ovewhwelm them wif it..they'll gwow to be OK...it will be OK..you'we in a wondewful loving home
smoochie kisses
ASTA

4:24 PM  
Blogger LiveWorkDream said...

Well, at least Rudy was upfront and right to the point with his spaz behavior. A lot of dogs will hide that kinda stuff until right when you think they're sooo perfect, and then, blammo, they'll spring it on ya!

Yep, Rudy is a puppy and with your awesome love and attention, he'll do just fine. Hang in there.

1:10 AM  
Blogger Rudy said...

Oh I love this dog already, he's got the perfect name 'cause it's my name and when I was younger I was crazy wild, too! Go Rudy!


Love,
Rudy

8:39 PM  
Blogger Biggie-Z said...

AW, he sounds great! ok, a little EXUBERANT, but you had me at "The next day, he couldn't believe he still lived with us." Got a little teary-eyed there.

When we got Biggie, I had totally forgotten in that sugar-coated-hazy way JUST HOW MUCH WORK A PUPPY IS! AAAHHH!!!

Just look at this is practice for the human-pup on the way!

1:43 PM  
Blogger Kerrio said...

Fabulous news about Rudy, and I know what you mean about the energy, it's been a LONG while since we had a very young dog in the house and Ducu is similarly hyperactive.

Congratulations and good luck.

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home