http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping All Our Children Meow and Woof: Introducing...

All Our Children Meow and Woof

I created this blog to sort through my emotions as Finnegan, a great Irish Wolfhound, fought bone cancer for nearly 26 months. Fortunately, his battle subsided for many months and during the course of the 26 months, I shared stories about his feline siblings. On August 8, 2008, Finny passed on in my husband's and my arms. He fought the good fight and he will always have a special place in my heart. *If you have a question, please write me at finnegandog at gmail dot com.*

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Introducing...

Rooney!

Although it seemed entirely too soon to invite a dog into our home, Rooney fell into our laps. After returning from a holiday to Scandinavia, Iceland, and Finland, we brought our Siamese to the vet for some constipation issues. While checking out, the technician mentioned that there was a stray in the back that they thought I would like. I told them we had enough cats but she then corrected me and said it was a dog! In fact, it is an Irish Wolfhound mix! I paused for a moment and then succumbed to my curiosity and asked to meet him. She couldn't run back fast enough to bring him back. And yes, he was absolutely part Irish Wolfhound.

At first, I said no way, we just lost Finny and are expecting our first baby. Oh, for those who still read this somewhat defunct blog, I'm pregnant! And we are having a boy on February 11, 2009! Woot! But wait, there's more because of course there is always more. I called a few weeks later to make an appointment for Mr. Stinny's checkup and innocently asked about Rooney. Let me back up. My veterinarian houses the county shelter and all strays in the county are brought there. Unfortunately with the housing crisis, many animals are dumped as "strays" at shelters. It sucks and as a consumer law attorney, I hear clients stressing out about not over losing their homes but finding a homes where they can keep their animal companions. The receptionist told me that Rooney wouldn't be there much longer. When I asked whether he had been adopted, she told me instead that the shelter is overcrowded and he might have to be euthanized. Of course, I would not accept that information and practically shouted "NO!" into the telephone.

After some quick thinking and complete lack of judgment, I told her that if they couldn't adopt him out, I would foster him. And in Andrea English, foster means bring him home under the guise of "it's only temperary" and in actuality, he becomes a permanent family member. (See also: Mr. Stinny, Shrimpycat, and Zena (another story for a later time)). I apologize for the excessive use of parentheticals. Initially, my husband did not agree with my decision and insisted that we wait to see if another family adopted him. Also, he asked other friends and coworkers whether they would be interested in adopting him. Of course, the answer was always: no thanks. However, The Prof is also a softy so he did not want this dog to be euthanized either. Finally, he met him and was won over by Rooney's smarts and sweetness so alas, let me introduce the newest member to our crazy home who will be welcomed by the kitties this Friday:

7 Comments:

Blogger Biggie-Z said...

I KNEW IT!!!!!

Welcome, Rooney, we knew your mama couldn't resist those gorgeous eyes.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Asta said...

Rooney
WELCOME!!!!
I don't see how anyone could wesisit you..I'm so glad you found Finnie's family..they have so much love to give, and I know Finnie would be so happy that you can give youw pawents all the love fwom a sweet doggie.
Sometimes Life has diffewent plans than we do..I think this is wondewful
smoochie kisses
ASTA

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He seems small - but it is hard to get a sense of proportion in the photo. What is he mixed with?

And by the way, he is TOO cute!

1:10 PM  
Blogger troydays said...

Hello Rooney,

Nice to meet you mate;did you know we also have a new family member, Troy?

11:10 AM  
Blogger LiveWorkDream said...

Rooney, you are a lucky, lucky boy to have such wonderful pawrents. Congratulations on your forever home.

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello.This is first time for me to visit your site.
I have a cat and guppies aquarium, and love to ride a horse.
I also take care of a dog which is rescued from a shelter until the dog find permanent home.
I'm happy if you link to my site.
baratch's pet blog

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your new hound! Purebred or mix, it is that face that is so hard to resist!

I dreamed about having a wolfhound for over thirty years and finally ... well the story is here is you wish to read it:

LoveUbecause ... you're from a picture in a magazine!
Enjoy ... and the best of luck with Rooney!

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home