http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping All Our Children Meow and Woof: A Post Sort of about Finnegan

All Our Children Meow and Woof

I created this blog to sort through my emotions as Finnegan, a great Irish Wolfhound, fought bone cancer for nearly 26 months. Fortunately, his battle subsided for many months and during the course of the 26 months, I shared stories about his feline siblings. On August 8, 2008, Finny passed on in my husband's and my arms. He fought the good fight and he will always have a special place in my heart. *If you have a question, please write me at finnegandog at gmail dot com.*

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

A Post Sort of about Finnegan

As part of learning more about bone cancer and reaching out to others who have dogs with cancer, I belong to a few list-servs such as Yahoo's Bone Cancer (dog related). Initially, I would read the posts but they were so completely depressing, I just stopped. You can just cry so much and then it become futile. I empathize with and silently mourn for those who have lost their pooches too soon to this awful cancer but I can only handle so much. Just thinking about "bone cancer" makes me ache. This is a type of cancer that I literally can feel within me. I hug Finny more when I think of the pain he must have felt before the surgery. And I wonder, after the surgery, when he woke up in a blur of pain medication, was he scared? Did he want his mama and daddy to comfort him? And that, to state it simplistically, makes me sad.

But then I realize, hell yeah! It is almost fourteen months since his diagnosis and he is trudging along, one hop at a time. He fights me every time I try to brush him as the shaggy looks is just fine with him. He pushes against me when I try to nudge him out of the way and damn, is that three legged beast strong. His appetite is like no other and if there is food, yes, please, I'll have seconds. When he sees another dog, he is all about pulling me clear across the street for some serious meet and greet of the butt sniffing kind.

So, yeah, Finny is fine, stubborn, but fine.

7 Comments:

Blogger Sophie Brador said...

Finny, Yes, yes, send your folks up from Vermont. I like Vermont. I like wolfies too. I'm a bit unsure about kitties, especially ones with big boxing paws, but if it means an early jail break, I can get used to Donald. Tell them, I'll be waiting at the back door with a bag of turkey necks.

4:35 PM  
Blogger Kerrio said...

I know what you mean about the groups, I'm a member of a couple of epi forums and it's all rather heartbreaking. I've stopped reading them now but don't want to tempt fate by leaving!

Snogs to Finn

Kerrio & co

6:39 PM  
Blogger Asta said...

Hi Finny
I'm back fwom my vacation..I've missed you..it's gweat to hear you have a good appetite and are feeling fwisky
smoochie kisses
Asta

1:54 AM  
Blogger Boomer and his mom Carol said...

You all have come such a long way. Congratulations on such a wonderful recovery!

11:26 AM  
Blogger Casper and pals said...

Hey Finnigan, We just found your blog. Glad to hear you are doing good even after bone cancer and having a leg removed. And you sound like you have lots of spunk left too. Keep up pulling your momma over for the butt sniffing of the other dogs! ;)

Woofs, Casper, Buddy, Nikki and foster dog Winnie

12:16 AM  
Blogger Kerrio said...

it's been AGES since we had a Finnegan update... AGES.

2:19 AM  
Blogger Jerry Dawg said...

Hey Finny, Congrats on reaching fourteen months post-op! This is Jerry Dog Nelson (www.Tripawds.com), and I just reached 9 months post-op. Hooorrrray!

By the way, where are you living now? I am on my way to the East Coast and if you're out anywhere on my travels I'd love to meet you!

Cheers,
Jerry

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home