http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping All Our Children Meow and Woof: Finnegan's Birthday!

All Our Children Meow and Woof

I created this blog to sort through my emotions as Finnegan, a great Irish Wolfhound, fought bone cancer for nearly 26 months. Fortunately, his battle subsided for many months and during the course of the 26 months, I shared stories about his feline siblings. On August 8, 2008, Finny passed on in my husband's and my arms. He fought the good fight and he will always have a special place in my heart. *If you have a question, please write me at finnegandog at gmail dot com.*

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Finnegan's Birthday!


Finnegan is turning seven years old on June 12! This is very exciting for several reasons. First, the obvious: he has made it almost a year since the big "c" word diagnosis. Hooray!!! Second, seven is a pretty good age for an Irish Wolfhound. Some sources publish that the average life expectancy for an Irish Wolfhound is six years old. It seems that might not be as accurate because we know many Irish Wolfhounds who are living to ten and even older.


Picture from The Canine Cookery. They're in Louisiana. I'm up north. They look like they have some yummy stuff!
Okay, who cares about statistics. Finny is going to have a birthday! I am thinking of making him a dog and human friendly cake with peanut butter and carrots. Mmmmmm!!! I found the following recipe here. Has anyone else made a cake for their dog? Typically, I don't but I think this year is special.


So this is what I think I'm making for him and I guess that cake making for my dog might officially put me in the category of Crazy Animal Lady.


The recipe:

Peanut Butter Carrot Cake Naturally sweet, colorful and flavorful, this cake is simple and easy to make. Great for Fall.
1 cup flour
1tsp baking soda
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup shredded carrots
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 cup honey
1 egg
Mix flour and baking soda. Add remaining ingredients. Pour into greased 8" round cake pan and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Let cool. Puree cottage cheese in blender for icing. Decorate with more peanut butter and carrots.


15 Comments:

Blogger Sophie Brador said...

Hey there, I've missed Finnie and am so glad I popped over for a catch-up in time to hear about his b-day. Sophie's is May 31 (8 yrs.) I might have to get baking!

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haaaaaaaaappyyyyyyyyyyy

Birthday to youuuuuuuuu

Happpppyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Birthday to youuuuuuuuu

Happpppyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

BIRTHDAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Dear Finnegaaaaannnnnnn....

Happy birthday, to you!

Megan, Boots, Cleo, TeaLeaf & KuBrin


And all the best to your household too.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Kerrio said...

Ok - sorry about that - the Dogfather cannot read.

See what happens when you are owned by a Wolfie?

3:04 PM  
Blogger wally said...

Finny--that's such great news! That's a pretty big milestone. You'd better par-ty like a rock star. Or a Wolfhound who, I imagine, are a much wilder and more imaginative bunch. Your cake looks DELICIOUS.

We had a cake one year. This year we had homemade Frosty Paws. And rabbit. I recommend both.

wally.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Girl Girl Hamster said...

Oh Finny, your birthday is coming soon. Will you have a pawty to celebrate?


~ Girl girl

4:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Boomer and his mom Carol said...

You are one tough pooch Finn! I bet you will be around for a long time.

This Guinness is on me bud!

3:57 PM  
Blogger Bella said...

HAPPY HAPPY Birthday Finegan - that's one fine looking woolfie feast your mama got for you there - how was it??
Wuffs
Bella

7:28 PM  
Blogger Headgirl said...

Hi there,
Really like the idea of a Canine Cookery book. I know a blogging FWT, who loves peanut butter & needs a treat, as he too is fighting cancer, so will send send Jackson & J1 to see you.

Pts
Blue

3:13 AM  
Blogger Jackson's J1 and J2 said...

Hey there, Blue told me about your cake recipe. Yum yum and double yum. I'll get J1 to give it a try. J x

3:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, big cake... I am getting cupcakes and tarts for my birthday cake.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Asta said...

Hi Finnegan
What wonderful news, this birfday will be vewy bewy special..congratulations in anticipation!!!!!!Your Mommi isn'tcwazy, just loving and thoughtful..sure looks like a delish cake, we'll have to twy it, thanks for the repcece
love and kisses and good wishes
ASTA

12:46 PM  
Blogger Lizzy said...

Happy 7th Birthday Finnegan!

Enjoy the cake everyone!

Sparky

7:25 PM  
Blogger Nazila Merati said...

Yeah Finnegan!

Cake looks yummy and you are my hero.

ernest a sumd wannabe

12:16 AM  
Blogger WinstonBerry said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, FINNEGAN!!!
I hope you have a wonderful year of fun, treats and love!! :-)

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home