http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping All Our Children Meow and Woof: Finnegan's Got Your Back

All Our Children Meow and Woof

I created this blog to sort through my emotions as Finnegan, a great Irish Wolfhound, fought bone cancer for nearly 26 months. Fortunately, his battle subsided for many months and during the course of the 26 months, I shared stories about his feline siblings. On August 8, 2008, Finny passed on in my husband's and my arms. He fought the good fight and he will always have a special place in my heart. *If you have a question, please write me at finnegandog at gmail dot com.*

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Finnegan's Got Your Back


Last week, Finnegan and I were have a friendly conversation with our neighbors. While talking to them, their two nine month old puppies, a boxer* and German Shepard, kept barking at us. The German Shepard did not have the same level of hostility towards us as did the boxer. Any time the German Shepard barked, the boxer would growl and chomp at him. Needless to say, it was a tad disturbing. Each dog took turns barking at us and every time they barked, they were told to shush or given a swat on the butt. It was obvious that they had not had ANY type of training either formal or informal. As usual, Finny stood next to me, just watching the absurdity of these two ill-mannered dogs. The boxer seemed interested in Finny so he hopped closer to the fence so they could sniff and say their hellos. When Finny was about a foot from the fence, the boxer did his crazed teeth baring loud menacing barking routine. Finnegan, both surprised and I must say, seriously pissed, barked right back and with oh-my-god-don't-mess-with-me-mofo attitude showed his big bad teeth. In our almost seven years together, I have never seen Finnegan be that ferocious. Holy shit! That is some scary stuff! I guess having a life threatening disease changes a man. I grabbed his collar and pulled him back. He stood about six feet back doing his typical BARK (wait three seconds) Bark (wait three seconds) bark. And of course, he wagged his tail the whole time. The only other times Finnegan has barked protectively is in the company of me. So perhaps he was not so comfortable with this boxer getting all nasty so close to his mama. I am seriously glad Finnegan is on my side.


*This boxer is in some serious need of guidance from Cubby!

12 Comments:

Blogger PerfectTosca said...

Way to go Finney! If I were in a barroom brawl, I'd want YOU on my side! You go boy, protect your mama! Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh!

I almost ate the Fedex guy one day. I could tell Mom doesn't like him so i let him know he ain't messing around here! Now he leaves the packages waaaaayyyyyy far away from the door. Shrug.

Good job Finn!

2:24 PM  
Blogger Kerrio said...

You tell 'em Finn!

KuBrin did it to us once pasing a guy on a narrow footpath. Scared the willies out of us, but who knows, maybe he WAS an axe murderer. You never can tell.

Kerrio

4:49 PM  
Blogger Girl Girl Hamster said...

Finny, you're so brave to be pawtecting your mum. The boxer sounds nasty.


~ Girl girl

10:15 PM  
Blogger BOSSY said...

Bossy wishes she could show her big bad teeth every once in a while.

Meanwhile, Bossy's Great Dane is very mellow and sweet and Bossy always guffaws whenever someone calls her 'a watchdog'. Except one time Bossy's friend walked through her front door unexpected and for some unknown reason he hunkered his shoulders into a menacing posture and moved toward Bossy's Greatest Dane.

Bossy's Dane immediately went into Danger mode and for the first time Bossy glimpsed the inner animal capable of ripping a robber limb from limb.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Tealeaf said...

Finnegan

I am tagging you to show your TUMMY!

Sniffs

Leafo

6:44 PM  
Blogger Jackson's J1 and J2 said...

Hey, just dropping by to say hello! J x

6:46 AM  
Blogger Deanna said...

Sorry the boxer was a bad representative of our breed! There are bad ones in every bunch (especially with negligent parents).

7:16 PM  
Blogger Texas's Mum said...

Hey Finn,
Great job on protecting your mama
it is our job after all. I bet that
those doggies will not mess with
you or your mama anymore.

Love and Licks
Texas (and his humans).

4:23 AM  
Blogger Urban Smoothie Read said...

embarassed to said that my dogs will definately join in d chorus..

12:13 AM  
Blogger wally said...

Hi Finn--Well done! If i ever need anyone to have my back--and I often do because I can be a bit of a bastard--I know who to turn to!

Love the picture of you. Very majestic!

wally.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Nat said...

You go, Finny. I'm sure those nine-month olds had issues, but fences and leashes are strange. Can take perfectly friendly dogs and turn them into monsters.

9:32 AM  
Blogger FleasGang said...

You go Finnegan! Don't let your mama get to close to that mean ol' boxer. Aren't "barky" dogs annoying?

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home