http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping All Our Children Meow and Woof: The Greatest Debate

All Our Children Meow and Woof

I created this blog to sort through my emotions as Finnegan, a great Irish Wolfhound, fought bone cancer for nearly 26 months. Fortunately, his battle subsided for many months and during the course of the 26 months, I shared stories about his feline siblings. On August 8, 2008, Finny passed on in my husband's and my arms. He fought the good fight and he will always have a special place in my heart. *If you have a question, please write me at finnegandog at gmail dot com.*

Friday, May 04, 2007

The Greatest Debate

For the most part, I think of myself as an "equal opportunist" in that I love both dogs and cats. [GASP!] For most of my existance, cats have been part of my life. I feel like I have a connection to them. I understand them. They understand me. I love dogs too although I must admit, I prefer large and giant breed dogs. Of course there are several small breed dogs I enjoy and I could actually see myself adopting one some day. Maybe.

Here is the thing. Please don't judge. My husband is a cat person. He is a real, genuine, goes up to a kitty on the street to pet her, cat person. Of course he loves Finnegan and he likes dogs. He just is not a dog person. Or at least a normal sized dog person. Here's the thing, he has a thing for certain types of dogs. The type of dog from which I tend to shy away. The type of dog who would bite me when I was a veterinary technician. The breed of dog who knew I did not take them seriously as a d-o-g. And of course what are the breeds my husband feels an affinity for? Of course, toy, small, miniature, teacup, itsy bitsy tiny dogs you can stuff in you shirt and carry around. Ugh.

For all of you who have small dogs, don't get me wrong. It's not like I categorically dislike them. I love my friend's weird little mix who kicks his sibling's Irish Wolfhound butt. Tavo, a dynamic chihuahua, is strangely adorable and funny. I, personally, would not select a small breed dog. Apparently, my husband might. And I am okay with that. I'll just find him a nice little European carryall to carry his lap dog around town.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'm more a dog person than a cat person. Maybe it's because my only cat is pissykitty and has an anti-social personality. Or maybe it's because we always had dogs in my house. Size doesn't matter to me (and how often will you hear a woman say that?). I've had pugs, I've had a 100 pound boxer, and now I have a 30 pound mixed breed. With the exception of the neighbor's obnoxious spaniel that put $300 worth of scratches in my Honda Civic, I pretty much love all dogs.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Boomer and his mom Carol said...

I'm a dog person through and through. We have a cat - Turbo Kitty but like Emma said above he can be pissy. Dogs don't seem as moody I suppose.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Kerrio said...

I'm with you there Finn's mum.

But we do have a cat too :)

3:25 AM  
Blogger PerfectTosca said...

Hey I live with three cats. My mom is a cat person too. I mean they let me live here if you know what I mean. But still it's cool. I mean me and Mojo are the best of pals since i learned the concept of the Five Razors. We got three kittens in the special room in the basement right now too. I got to visit them the other day. And like you, Mom prefers bigger dogs, which is a good thing since I definitely am now bigger than a bread box.

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home