http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping All Our Children Meow and Woof: Waiting to Have Two-Legged Human Speaking Children?

All Our Children Meow and Woof

I created this blog to sort through my emotions as Finnegan, a great Irish Wolfhound, fought bone cancer for nearly 26 months. Fortunately, his battle subsided for many months and during the course of the 26 months, I shared stories about his feline siblings. On August 8, 2008, Finny passed on in my husband's and my arms. He fought the good fight and he will always have a special place in my heart. *If you have a question, please write me at finnegandog at gmail dot com.*

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Waiting to Have Two-Legged Human Speaking Children?

We are reaching the point in our life where having children will be forth coming. At this time, we (Prof. H and I) agree that we are not ready financially and professionally to have them. I think it makes sense to wait to have children when we are both settled into our careers and we have a nice little nest egg just in case the worst happens. Plus, I having a human speaking child is EXPENSIVE! An acquaintance is just weeks away from delivering and she received some pretty scary news. She could go into labor six weeks before term. Besides all of the medical problems that could arise, she and her spouse are not yet ready. They are waiting to purchase some furniture until after the baby shower. That makes sense. Baby cribs, changing tables, and rockers all add up. Not to mention diapers, clothing, wipes, and who knows the other limitless purchases they will need to make.

We have been criticized for deciding to wait to start a family until we are financially sound. It is not as if we have an unrealistic goal of "financial stability" or we have not marked an approximate figure that we wish to reach. I believe our plan is sound, realistic, and responsible. Although our future children can go to a fantastic university for a fraction of the cost, I would like to have a college fund if our children attend graduate school. Fortunately, my parents paid for my siblings' and my undergraduate education. However, I paid for my graduate education and the cost was astronomical. I envision Prof. H. and I in a nursing home still writing checks to Sallie Mae. Certainly I do not want my children to face the same insurmountable debt. If the cost for higher education does not change, I cannot even imagine how anyone could possibly afford it.

So there you have it. Expect in a year and half to hear that Attorney McBitchy will become Attorney McPregnant. God/Goddess/Whoever helps us all. My mother already said she will be moving to Australia when I am pregnant if that gives you any idea of what a pain in the arse I will be!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your decision to wait makes perfect sense. You go on wit yo bad self.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Tin Tin Blogdog said...

oooooooh, at least Finnegan will be a match for 'em.

My human sister tied me up when she was four. I was very patient and waited 'til my ma rescued me.

But I'm still in therapy.

Chow for now,

Tin Tin xo

12:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there - it's me, Gidget (and "The Poopies"). I stopped by to say THANK YOU for your donation to help me and my new family. I sure wish that I had been able to decide for myself whether or not I wanted babies! I think you are very smart to wait until you are ready. No more babies for me though! Having 6 at a time is hard work. Tell Finnegan "HOWDY from Texas".

2:30 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

You've been criticized for waiting to have kids? People should mind their own damn business.

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home