http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping All Our Children Meow and Woof: Pet Food Recall and Going Au Naturale

All Our Children Meow and Woof

I created this blog to sort through my emotions as Finnegan, a great Irish Wolfhound, fought bone cancer for nearly 26 months. Fortunately, his battle subsided for many months and during the course of the 26 months, I shared stories about his feline siblings. On August 8, 2008, Finny passed on in my husband's and my arms. He fought the good fight and he will always have a special place in my heart. *If you have a question, please write me at finnegandog at gmail dot com.*

Friday, March 23, 2007

Pet Food Recall and Going Au Naturale

Fortunately, my furry children have not suffered the effects of the tainted pet food. We do feed our cats Eukanuba dry food and on one occasion a few weeks back, we gave them canned Eukanuba food as a treat. My brain is filled with too many pieces of useless information for me to remember exactly the type of food I purchased. But as I said, fortunately, we did not have to deal with poisoned food. Instead, we dealt with a blocked kitty.

As we have learned today, it appears rat poison might have been the culprit for the deaths of people's beloved pets. Initial reports indicate there are trace levels of aminopterin (rat poison) in the food. At this point, they are unable to confirm if this is the only contaminant. It appears the poison might have been in the wheat gluten contained in the pet food.

For a list of foods that were contaminated, please check here.

What I did not know about this was that all of these different pet foods come essentially from the same manufacturer. Call me naive, but I assumed each food manufacturer actually made their food. I thought Iams made Iams, Nutro made Nutro, and Eukanuba made Eukanuba. Perhaps they obtain the raw ingredients from Menu Foods and then they formulate the food into their own tasty morsels my critters enjoy gobbling up so much. Either way, it seems to be an odd practice.

My husband and I tend to eat as much organic and natural foods as possible. We do not eat meat and we refrain (usually) from eating processed food. Now I wonder: should I be doing the same with my critters? Certainly, I want them to be healthy and free of unnecessary chemicals; however, my creatures love their Eukanuba. Shrimpycat lifts her nose up to anything but this delectable goodness. Mr. Stinny really has no choice other than his pee pee food (Hill's Prescription S/D and Purina U/R). Finnegan, oh Finnegan. If he has the smallest taste of any food other than Iams Lamb and Rice, he experiences our favorite dogbursts. Finally, Donald and Lilly will eat nearly anything so they could be persuaded to slip on some Birkenstocks, roll in some patchouli, and dig into some groovy natural food.

I know when we have two-legged children, we will want to refrain from the processed neon-colored food that lines the grocery shelves and draws children in with their favorite cartoon du jour. As I'm sure you have realized, we love our non-human children tremendously. And of course, we do what is best for them. So now I am thinking, perhaps now is the time to begin "walk the talk" by switching them over to natural food so they too can reap the benefits of our natural hippy lifestyle.

Peace.

5 Comments:

Blogger Nessa Happens said...

Nanook's Mother Here: I used to feed my cats Purina ProPlan - then I read about the CVM study that found traces of euthanasia drugs in Purina pet foods (they were using rendered meat from companion animals that had been killed in kill shelters and zoos etc) as sodium pentobarbitol is not destroyed in the rendering process it was affecting the cats and dogs eating the pet food. Vets called the CVM asking why it was taking enormous doses of the drug to put down pets - and the CVM discovered that it was because they were being fed it every day and so were building up a resistance.

Needless to say my dog eats Canidae or Timberwolf dry food, and some Merrick wet food. My cats eat Felidae dry food, and Merrick wet food. Canidae/Felidae and Timberwolf are supposed to be top of the line natural foods. Nanook has always looked fantastic on Canidae - his coat is fabulous, his teeth are healthy, he's never had gas!!! and his stools are firm.

If you're interested, there's a book called "food pets die for" that is supposed to be very comprehensive. A lot of people have started feeding raw because at least then they know EXACTLY what is going into their pets! I can't say enough for Canidae/Timberwolf - their customer service people are excellent.

8:36 PM  
Blogger PerfectTosca said...

Same here. Tosca eats Canidae and raw. I emailed canidae and asked them if they outsourced ANY of their production or imported ingredients. Their answer was very comprehensive. This company cares. I cannot recommend them more.

Toscas Tired Mom.

9:59 AM  
Blogger PerfectTosca said...

P.S. If you want to know what's good and what's bad in your pet foods, try
www.dogfoodproject.com

Outstanding.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Sophie Brador said...

Hi there,
Your four-leggeds will love it! And you will never have to worry about anything like this awful pet food scare. A friend's cat in Arizona is in kidney failure because of that stuff. It's nasty. Au naturel, all the way!

3:43 PM  
Blogger Deanna said...

My moms don't eat meat, either. They are also worrying abou tthe food. Let us know what you decide and how it goes.

1:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home