http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping All Our Children Meow and Woof: Visit to the Doctor

All Our Children Meow and Woof

I created this blog to sort through my emotions as Finnegan, a great Irish Wolfhound, fought bone cancer for nearly 26 months. Fortunately, his battle subsided for many months and during the course of the 26 months, I shared stories about his feline siblings. On August 8, 2008, Finny passed on in my husband's and my arms. He fought the good fight and he will always have a special place in my heart. *If you have a question, please write me at finnegandog at gmail dot com.*

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Visit to the Doctor

Overall, my visit to the doctor went very well. Mom and I arrived early and we talked to a dog, Charcoal, and his mom for a little while. He has cancer AND diabetes. So far, I only have one of those problems! The veterinary oncologist was very nice and explained everything. I was brought back for an x-ray of my chest to determine if I had metastases to my lungs. No cancer there! 80% of bone lesions are cancer and 20% are fungal infections. 80% of the cancer are osteosarcomas. Based on my limited dog ability to compute, it looks like I have a pretty good shot at having an osteosarcoma. By the way, when I had my x-ray, the very nice veterinary technician said I was a perfect gentleman and stayed still. I even locked my front legs around her neck when I was on my back.

Unfortunately, I must stay overnight and have a bone biopsy tomorrow afternoon. It is much better to know for sure rather than lopping off my leg without determining its cancer. That brings me to my treatment options and prognosis. I can have palliative radiation which would give me 4 to 6 months (no thanks) or I could have an amputation and chemotherapy which could give on average 12 to 15 months and up to 3 years! I can take that!

Mom asked about how giant breed dogs do with amputations. He said large and giant breeds do very well. 95% have no problem. In fact, he told us about a great dane (yeah, like you Daisy) who was swimming in the Gulf of Mexico after the amputation and he was 180 pounds (fatty). We feel comfortable with our decision to treat me because human mom thinks I am pretty fabulous (duh) and I will do very well. The doctor said I will even be able to use the stairs. Hmmmmm.

Think good thoughts for me tomorrow as I will have anesthesia and have part of the lesion removed for the biopsy. Mom and dad will pick me up tomorrow evening. Hurray!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home